Saturday

February

2011

Moments Of January

Sorry for being absent for so long. 🙄 Its been a month almost. The days come and go and before you know it… Moments of January that have sticked to my mind. I didnt take any photos, but will take it up again now that I have more time.

For Christmas, my friend got us tickets to The Phantom Of The Opera. We had high expectations (the musical after all!) and then it turned out to be horrid. There were hardly people. They had immense sound problems, a very annoying echo that made it hard to understand anything they said on stage. The ballet girls were everything but synchronized. No tunes from the “Phantom Of The Opera” that we know and love. What a disappointment! And I am sure, the tickets were everything but cheap. We should have thrown eggs. 😉 But as a professor once told us at Uni, it is important to see the bad plays too. It still was one of the lets remember this moments from January.

Another thing I will probably keep remembering how on one day, in the time span of about 2 1/2 hours,you can have a flat tire twice. That was mad. So mad, that I keep having to smile over it because the chance of this happening must be close to zero.

Exams of course, which always cost me masses of nerves, but they went quite well, exactly the motivation that I need, to keep my daily schedule up for just a little longer.

Das geheime SpielReading wise, I just managed to finish one book. It was excellent. Especially if you liked the British series Upstairs, Downstairs. It plays around the time of World War I. I found this book structured more wisely than The Secret Garden, which was a bit messy and horribly confusing until the end. This time the “time hopping” worked much better and so much easier to follow! The end was quite surprising which I liked I a lot. Nothing worse than being able to predict the end after 50 pages! I can recommend it for easy in between reading. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars, just because I enjoy Kate Mortons writing style a lot.

I ordered new books already. One of it is Kafka on the Shore, my first Haruki Murakami, cant wait! Right now I am reading Death of a Red Heroine by Qui Xialong. I love his metaphors! Like: Time is like a bird, it either sits or flies. I am enjoying it so far, getting to look into how China “ticks”, is quite interesting. It especially makes you appreciate living in Austria.

NähmaschineOn other notes, I finally did it, I ordered a sewing machine. *bounces* I got so much Christmas money (about 800 Euros), that I can afford to buy the new Ipad 2 and a Sewing Machine. I wanted one since ages! My first project will be simple pillows with turtle fabric that I found. Then probably other simple things (totes and alike), suggestions very welcome, until I can tackle more advanced projects. I AM SO EXCITED, I swear!

I have decided not to play the concert. I cannot practice like I am supposed to, and because I am not doing anything half hearted, especially this big final concert, I decided to not play at all. In fact, I am not playing any concerts anymore. I am never content with myself and I am really sick of feeling like a pile of nothing because I failed so bad. Yes, this is the new Connie, who is not doing anything anymore just to please others. See where it got me. I am a wreck healthwise!

Long enough. I will post more often again. Promised. Especially when I have my first projects to show off. ➡

14 Responses to “Moments Of January”

Pete AUSTRIA
    12:46 am on February 6th, 2011

Ahh, there you are! 😉 Been wondering what you’ve been up to these past few weeks. Comfortably busy it seems – good!
    The opera performance you describe sounds awfully amateurish both on the performers and the organiser’s side – quite the letdown.
    At least your choice in books did not let you down, however 😉
    I think it probably has cost you alot of willpower to decide against performing in concerts anymore but as far as I am able to tell it looks to be the only reasonable decision you could’ve made. Perfectionism is a double-edged sword and the leeway between good and bad sides of that are practically non-existent. So yeah, the best, healthiest for yourself (in that situation) move is to avoid the concerts and everything around it entirely. Just play for yourself or those very close to you and you should be a happy camper! Enough of my smartassery now 🙂

I recently set up the WordPress software and I’m already impressed with how “complete” (for lack of other words) the whole appliance feels. Now I only need to get back into Photoshop and come up with a layout of my own I’m happy with … which should be a whole new quality of labour.
    Suppose I’ll simply take some precious time.

P.S. chances are I -might- watch the Superbowl on sunday. I’ve been thinking about doing that for over a decade now and never gotten around to it due to the fact I’d have to take a day off to even watch it. Blasted time difference! Somewhere in the back of my head I seem to remember you watching the Superbowl for a few years now? Am I right? If so, try to convince me to take Monday off and watch it, as I feel I am already having second guesses… ~_~

6:51 am on February 6th, 2011

So sorry that crazy Phantom didn’t live up to expectations…I saw it twice here in all it’s chandelier dropping glory & it was fantastic.

I’m looking forward to the new continuation of the tv version of Upstairs Downstairs…It’s gonna be on tv here in April. I have a whole pile of new books that I got at Christmas but I just haven’t had time yet to read.

ENJOY your new sewing machine!!!

10:44 am on February 6th, 2011

@Pete: Guten Morgen Pete. 😎 Ich hatte ja ganz vergessen wie gut du englisch sprichst! 😮 Ja, danke. Ich vertrete ja ganz stocksteif den Standpunkt, dass man wenn man immer das Selbe tut, auch immer das Selbe bekommen wird. Und es ist jetzt Zeit mein Leben zu ändern. Dieses war der erste Streich… der nächste… irgendwann. 😆 Ich glaube das meine Freundinnen jetzt der Reihe nach schwanger werden und ich immer noch so wie vor 10 Jahren vor mich hintümpel war wirklich ein Wakeup Call.

Boah, immer noch nicht die Superbowl geschaut, Pete! *mit finger wedel* Da hast du echt was verpasst. Ich mag ja schon die Kommentatoren sehr am Österreicher. Football ist eigentlich sehr viel komplizierter und taktisch anspruchsvoll als man denkt, wie ein Schachspiel. Aber es macht natürlich sehr viel mehr Spass bei einer Superbowl Party dabei zu sein (war ich noch nie), als am Bett zu sitzen wenn dir ständig die Augen zuklappen. (liegen ist eine ganz schlechte Idee) Wann musst du denn arbeiten und bis wann? Arbeitest du noch beim Magistrat Wien? Nimms dir sicherheitshalber auf, Manchmal schläft man bei der Halbzeitshow ein. Obwohl auch das immer eine riesen Show ist!

Ich finde gut das du dir selber ein Layout entwerfen willst. Ich mag die vorgemachten Sachen gar nicht! Da ist nichts persönliches drinnen und ausserdem kannst du dir, wenn du es dir selber machst (ohoh, nicht falsch verstehen 😳 ) genau so einrichten wie du magst. 💡

Alles Liebe für dich Pete! ➡

10:49 am on February 6th, 2011

@Lucy: Thank you Lucy. ➡ The big chandelier moment was shown on a video screen behind the actors, just to give you an idea of how bad this really was. 🙄 Thats a key moment, I totally agree! Where did you watch it, on Broadway?

I didnt know they are continuing Upstairs, Downstairs! *pees herself* AWESOME!!! I was so sad to read that almost all actors from the original series have passed, but then its decades ago that they filmed it. Very sad!

Which books dd you get? Make sure you post about the good ones! *drools* 😀

Nicki UNITED KINGDOM
    12:17 pm on February 6th, 2011

Welcome back 🙂

It’s a shame about Phantom of the Opera. I wonder why it was such a bad production. I am going to see “Chess” this week so hopefully that should be good.

Am very pleased that your exams went well 🙂 Did you find out the results?

The prospect of buying a sewing machine and an iPad is very exciting! Although I have never been able to sew… 🙄 I look forward to hearing/seeing your projects.

I know what you mean about playing in concerts and it’s important to do the best thing for you. I am waiting for my music exam results and as each day goes by, I keep thinking more and more about all the mistakes.

Happy February x

Anu SWITZERLAND
    12:39 pm on February 6th, 2011

Schade wegen dem Musical – ich mag Musicals nicht und kann da nicht mitreden – habe allerdings auch nur Cats gesehen, weil ich das wollte – fand ich grässlich und Space Dreams, weil ich ein Ticket geschenkt bekam – fand ich deutlich besser, weil modern 😉

Zur Entscheidung gegen die Konzerte kann ich nur gratulieren – Perfektionismus ist eh für gar nichts, bin ich total dagegen – deine Haut wird nicht mehr so massiv reagieren, wenn du merkst, wieviel besser es dir geht, wenn du den Leuten nicht mehr nur gefallen willst, sondern für dich schaust.

Das ging mir um 30 rum auch so – kein Geld, Nervezusammenbruch, Überdosis Medis, wieder daheim im kaputten Elternhaus und alle heiraten, bauen Häuser und stellen Kinder auf – ich hätte mich beinahe hinreissen lassen – bis mir wieder einfiel, dass ich DAS für mich ja genau nicht will – mittlerweile bin ich einfach nur froh, bin ich mir und meiner Einstellung dazu treu geblieben!
    Lass dich nicht kirre machen!

Recht hast du natürlich – die Umstände mögen widrig sein, doch du bist der Pilot und kannst vieles lenken, anstatt die Hände im Schoss zu falten und zu sagen: Es klappt sowieso nicht.

Kaufst du ne Singer? Kann ich wohl nur gratulierne – hier ist Pfaff und vor allem Bernina DAS Qualitätsprodukt – bei Bernina kosten 40-jährige Occassions-Maschinen noch Hunderte von Franken – ich habe jetzt einen Husqvarna, doch für geschenkt und die paar Nähte, die ich flicken will, soll das ok sein – man soll nur keine Jeans damit nähen, die dicken Nähte schafft kaum eine Maschine 😉

Lass es dir gut gehen!

1:45 pm on February 6th, 2011

@Nicki: I can relate a lot Nicki. Thats why I decided to quit concerts altogether, because that feeling is horrible, and I have never been able to deal with it properly. You seem to be so much better in that aspect! Plus I am sure you did very well. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in such a high stress situation! ➡

Yes, exam results are in, and given the circumstances I did quite well. 🙂 Good enough at least. I am very happy! Thank you Nicki.

I havent heard of Chess, will check it out in a bit. Lots of fun! Where are you going to see it?

1:48 pm on February 6th, 2011

@Anu: Cats haette ich auch wahnsinnig gerne gesehen! Das muss einem einfach liegen, stimmt schon.

Manchmal ist est wahnsinnig schwer sich selber treu zu bleiben. Versteh ich gar nicht, weil gedanklich macht alles andere doch ueberhaupt keinen Sinn! Tja… leicht gedacht. 😈

Die Nähmaschine kostet 99 Euro, das passt so in etwa. Ich brauche ja keine Spitzenmaschine, will ja eigentlich auch nur “leichte” Sachen naehen. Kein Dirndl oder sowas… 😐

Für dich auch alles Liebe Anuschka, immer und sowieso!

Anu SWITZERLAND
    1:57 pm on February 6th, 2011

@Connie:
    Da sagst du was – zum Glück gibt’s ja verschiedene Richtungen 😉
    Mary Poppins liebe ich dafür sehr ➡

Das muss man auch lernen wie Autofahren, ein Instrument spielen etc. – wenn einem das von den Eltern nicht beigebracht wird (und das ist fast immer so, man soll ja gefällig sein und die meisten Eltern sind Duckmäuser), muss man sich halt selber kümmern – oder untergehen.

Oh ein Dirndl – DAS würde ich lieben 😉
    Es ist leider oft so, dass die günstigen Modelle auch keine einfachen Sachen nähen – doch da bin ich von einer als Näherin arbeitenden Mutter natürlich etwas anders geimpft. Ich hoffe jedenfalls, dass du viel Freude mit der Maschine haben wirst!!! 🙂

Nicki UNITED KINGDOM
    10:05 pm on February 6th, 2011

PS – They showed the new Upstairs/Downstairs here a few weeks ago 🙂

1:57 am on February 7th, 2011

@Connie: Yipes…lame chandelier moment but I suppose there were technical & budgetary considerations! Yes, I saw it twice on B’way. One time we were in the 2nd row right under the BIG DROP!!!

Jean Marsh (the original maid ROSE!) is in the continuation of the new US/DS…I think it takes place in the same old Bellamy mansion with a different family living there.

Books: Autobiography of Mark Twain (GIANT will take forever to read & it’s only Volume One!), Biography of Charles Dickens & collection of Dickens short stories, *One Step Behind* a Detective Wallander (Swedish series) mystery by Henning Mankel (apparently he was one of Stieg Larson’s favorite writers & I can see why.)….*BEING HUMAN* a BBC book based on the Werewolf/Vampire/Ghost TV series….I’ve got my reading work cut out for me!!

2:30 pm on February 7th, 2011

@Lucy: @Nicki: One thing I will never ever forget is when Rose gave birth on UP/Down. I was bloody young, kindergarden? That was my very first experience with someone giving birth. Amazing. What would we do without television. 😯

@Lucy: That must have been absolutely AMAZING sitting in the second row and having the chandelier drop! Good for you!!! ➡

Pete
    12:01 pm on February 8th, 2011

@Connie:
    Ahoy Connie! 😉

Ich hab’s letztendlich getan und die Superbowl geguckt – am Montag im Zeitausgleich zu Hause geblieben. Dauert schon krass lange wenn man bedenkt, dass die netto Spielzeit eigentlich nur 4×15 Minuten spielen. Aber das liegt wohl an den Werberechten in den USA für’s TV. Ansonsten war ich ziemlich überrascht, dass die Amis doch etwas so spektakuläres auf die Reihe bekommen. Recht durchgestylt und amüsant das ganze! 😎
    Wahrscheinlich war’s aber auch etwas Glück: die “Eingeweihten” meinten ja alle das es ein sehr spannendes Spiel war, hab die letzten 10 Minuten im 4ten Viertel mit den Packers um den Sieg gezittert – und Einschlafwarnung war auch nie in greifbarer Nähe. Halbzeit Show war recht eindrucksvoll (zumindest für mich als Superbowl Newbie) nur die US Nationalhymnen Interpretation von Aguilera war nicht so meins… naja, sei’s drum! 😛
    Die 2 Kommentatoren auf Puls4 fand ich super. Erfrischend “unsteif” im Gegensatz zu so manchem ORF Kommentar und das laufende Erklären des Regelwerks hat mir bis gegen Ende des Spiels schon zumindest die Einbildung von “Auskennen” in dem Sport beschert 😆
    Alles in Allem ein gelungener Abend der sogar Lust auf Mehr weckt. Schade dass die NFL nur im Pay-TV übertragen wird?

Mehr später! 😎

Nicki UNITED KINGDOM
    1:38 am on February 9th, 2011

Connie – just seen your comment. Chess is a musical – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_%28musical%29